I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for a while. In fact, I thought I already had, but I’d only written it down…
A can of mixed beans is an awesome base for a vegetarian meal. Get several when you see them on special and store them at the back of the cupboard.
A couple of months ago, I was looking to buy some soy sauce as I was running low. In the supermarket, I spied a sauce that looked interesting called “honey-soy sauce”. I decided to buy it and try it. It has served me well, and this dish was its first outing.
- Potato, rice or noodles
- Can of a four-bean mix
- 1/4 cup water
- A decent glug of honey-soy sauce
- Splash of oyster sauce,
- Half or full teaspoon of chilli
- A tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Large frypan
- Kitchen spoon
- Chopping board
- Chop veg & onion & potato
- Mix water, honey-soy and oyster sauces, chilli and peanut butter together to make the sauce – adjust quantities to taste.
- Combine garlic, ginger, onion in a hot frypan
- Boil water for potato/ rice/ noodles
- Tip veg into the frypan
- Start cooking potato
- Fry veg for ~5 mins, stirring
- Tip sauce into the pan, stir
- Add more water if necessary
- When it’s cooked, it’s ready to eat with the potato.
Sauce inspired by this recipe: https://hurrythefoodup.com/easy-vegetable-stir-fry-with-creamy-peanut-sauce/
And yes, if you’re paying attention, the marinade for the one-pot chicken dish was based on this sauce! Having been introduced to it, I love this combo.