A while ago (back in April) I road-tested a mushroom gravy recipe and mentioned that I’d try a second one I’d found “the next time I had mushrooms”. Given that a friend told me the other day that they love a good mushroom gravy, I decided to show this recipe next.
It also provides a good opportunity to tell you about some of the burger patty experimentations I’ve made.
I’ve made a few burger patties now. Mostly using recipes of breadcrumbs, mince, mixed herbs + salt + pepper for seasoning, and egg. At least once, I’ve made them without egg. See below.
The top three pics are from a different occasion to the bottom two.
Now, as for the mushroom gravy and burgers recipe…. has anyone heard of Salisbury steaks?
Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom Gravy – Adam Liaw recipe
I saw this in the Sunday Life magazine when I was back at the family home one weekend in April. I saved the recipe and trialled it. It was very good. The second pic is leftovers. Mmmm.
NB. It’s a different way of doing a burger patty, basically. Using ingredients one has to hand rather than, say, having to make breadcrumbs especially.
- 1 slice bread torn into chunks
- 2 tbsp milk
- 500g beef mince
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs (optional – recipe suggests option of ground mustard instead)
- salt and pepper to season
- Oil, for cooking
- Place torn-up bread into bowl with milk and set aside (10 mins rest time)
- Mix milk-soaked bread, beef mince, onion, carrot, egg, mixed herbs (if using), salt and pepper together until well-combined
- Shape into four patties and refrigerate to firm up (10 mins rest time – I think I might have skipped this….)
- Add oil to large frying pan and fry patties until cooked through (~4 mins/side)
- Remove from pan and set aside, covered, to keep warm while you make the gravy.
- Mushrooms (recipe suggests 250g button ones, but it depends what you’re going for)
- Butter (recipe suggests 30g)
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1&/12 cups stock
- 1 onion
- ~2 tsp garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Slice onion and mushrooms
- Melt butter in frying pan (AFTER using it to cook meat – enhances flavour)
- Cook onion, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat until golden and liquid evaporated (~5-6 mins)
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly (~1 min)
- Gradually pour in stock, water, tomato sauce and soy sauce, stirring frequently. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, seasoning with salt and pepper (~5 mins)
- Return meat to pan and coat with gravy then plate up, spooning remaining gravy over the top
Next time I’ll have to give the recipe I found for a veggie gravy….