I’ve had some cooking successes lately.
The other night I was pressed for time and needed to cook dinner quickly. I could’ve had a frozen meal (i.e. reheated a serve of leftovers) but I had some chicken thighs in the fridge that needed to be cooked as I’d moved them from the freezer earlier in the week.
So I googled, “cook chicken thighs in the microwave” (or something like that) and came across this recipe. Basically, it involves:
- 2 x chicken thigh fillets
- Chopped veggies of your choice
- Chicken stock (made into liquid form)
- Garlic, salt, pepper
- Microwave-safe container
- Oven mitt (for pulling container out of microwave)
- Chopping board
- Smear garlic onto chicken and place in bottom of dish – season with salt and pepper to taste
- Pour chicken stock over chicken
- Add veggies on top
- Cover with lid and put in the microwave on high for 4-5 minutes
- Remove lid (or let it sit lightly) and repeat step #4
- If chicken is still not cooked to satisfaction, microwave dish for bursts of 1 minute until it’s cooked through
Voila – I had a piping-hot microwave meal ( 😉 ) ready to eat. Just be careful with step #5. I left the lid off completely as instructed by the online recipe, but that caused too much moisture to escape and the microwave did not like it.
No photos to show for this meal – I was a bit too busy for that. 🙂
My second success was a few nights after, when, aided only by memory and the help of a googled recipe, I made chicken curry for the first time in my new place, all by myself. So here’s another dish to add to my known repertoire!
Chicken Curry 🍛
- Oil/ margarine
- Chilli, garlic, ginger, curry powder, Moroccan seasoning, cumin powder
- Chicken stock
- Chicken thigh fillet
- Rice/ noodles/ couscous/ potato
- Frying pan
- Stirring spoon
- Tongs/ spatula/ etc
- Chopping board
- Chop veggies
- Chop chicken into strips
- Heat the oil/ margarine in the pan
- Add chicken pieces and cook until browned
- Stir in garlic, ginger, chilli, curry powder, cumin powder, Moroccan seasoning NB: the curry and cumin powders make this dish, with the Moroccan seasoning providing some extra flavours like hints of paprika and so on. Add as much of the cumin and curry powders as feels right.
- Add chicken stock after a minute and reduce heat to cook for some time
- Add veggies (I added them earlier than the online recipe indicated to because they needed to cook for longer).
- I also started cooking my potato here in the pot and ended up putting some of the harder veggies (carrots, sweet potato) in with it to reduce cooking time.
- Once judged that veggies were ready, I combined everything and took it over to the table. It tasted like it should, so yay.