It’s been very hot in my part of Australia recently. Around Christmas we had a spell of scorching hot days and we just finished another.
Naturally this means I’ve been having lots of salads and so on. I thought I’d record some.
- 1 bigger / 2 smaller cans of tuna (seasoned with lemon & pepper);
- Several handfuls of lettuce (we used iceberg);
- Ten-fifteen cherry tomatoes, halved;
- 1 spring onion;
- Experiment with other ingredients if you want to.
Halve tomatoes, wash & shred lettuce, chop up spring onion, and mix in a bowl with the tuna.
Chicken and Salad (Wraps)
- Chicken pieces*;
- Handfuls of lettuce (e.g. iceberg);
- 1 medium-sized tomato;
- 1/2 spring (or salad) onion;
- Extra veggies if wanted – I reckon carrot would go well with this and maybe some beetroot;
- Grated cheese;
- Mayonnaise if desired, or perhaps some pickle relish;
- Wraps (or you could cook some rice instead I guess).
- Prep and cook the chicken pieces.
* = depending on your tastes/ willingness-to-bother, you could use already prepped and cooked frozen chicken pieces (from freezer section of supermarket) or some breast/thigh fillets from the meat section.
- Assemble and prep other ingredients – wash, grate and chop them, depending on what they are.
- If using rice – i.e. if you’re bothered enough to cook something else as well as the chicken (remember it’s hot, as in 36*C hot 😛 ) – then cook that too, either in the microwave (15 or so mins, stir & check for water absorption, give it a bit more) or on the stove (however long it takes for the water to be absorbed by the rice).
- When chicken is ready, lay out plates.
If using rice, dish that up and assemble the other ingredients into a salad around the chicken.
If using wraps, lay them (use two at once if they’re thin) on the plates, then assemble everything else. The mayo and cheese should be added last or close to that.
- Close up wraps and EAT!
Chicken/etc., Salad and Noodles
- Chicken pieces (or beef/kangaroo/etc. probably could be used?);
- Lime juice
- Spices/herbs: cumin, paprika, coriander;
- Refried bean mix paste;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 spring onion;
- Several handfuls of lettuce;
- 1 cob corn;
- 1/2 cucumber?;
- Cherry tomatoes;
- “Chinese noodles” of some sort – possibly rice noodles? They were long, thin and whitish.
- Cook chicken pieces in deep frying pan with lemon juice, spices/herbs and refried bean paste (a bit like how my house makes a burrito mix).
- Make salad by washing, chopping, grating/peeling and just generally preparing veggies – including halving the cherry tomatoes, grating the carrots, slicing up the spring onion and so on.
- Cook the Chinese noodles – it only takes a few minutes.
- Serve and eat!