A little something I came across a while ago.
Full post here, but the important stuff is:
What qualities characterize genuine and constructive leaders?
(1) Constructive leaders are honest and transparent. They have integrity. They neither manipulate people nor play with the truth.
(2) Constructive leaders create a vision of the future that is realistic and compelling. They are not afraid of change, but see it as a continual human challenge. They understand the changes on the horizon as new opportunities for human transformation and growth.
(3) Constructive leaders inspire and motivate. They help people engage with the present and build a more humane tomorrow. They reflect deeply on the signs of the times.
(4) Constructive leaders analyze and solve problems. They observe, judge, and act in collaborative problem-solving. Yes they are often recruited, trained, and chosen to solve problems. But they don’t do it alone. They cannot do it alone.
(5) Some people are very content to sit back and watch the world go by. Or they long to return to some romanticized former time, like the 1950s…..Constructive leaders have a higher level of perseverance. They have vision but are not daydreamers. They can be counted on to get things done. They move ahead. They don’t live in the past.
(6) Constructive leaders build on solid foundations of mutual respect and trust. They do not denigrate people but lift them up. The stronger the relationships, the better the leadership.
(7) Constructive leaders communicate with their people. They listen to them. They stimulate and promote collaborative leadership.
We are all called to leadership. Civility is a virtue. Change is a fact of life.