Well, it’s better than I’d hoped. It is rather close to what I’d thought it would be (see Friday’s “Cheeky Checklist”). We’ll just have to see how it turns out in practice. Given the alternative currently in place, it’s a good start.
Below is the video of Bill Shorten’s address at the Labor Conference, regarding Asylum Seeker and immigration policies. Key points from the address are listed below:
- Immigration has been one of the secrets of Australia’s success.
- Shorten believes in a new direction for Australia’s immigration policies
- Accept more refugees and ensure we treat refugees more humanely
- Shorten guarantees to keep closed the lethal journey between Java and Christmas Island, which claims lives.
- Australia can be the greater, kinder nation, we want our children to see.
- A Labor Govt will keep more people safe in a more humane way
- Safe from persecution by dictatorial regimes
- Safe from the exploitation of criminal people smugglers who prey upon the vulnerable.
- Safe from abuse in facilities which even fail to meet the basic standard of decency
- Safe from losing people they love from having families torn apart from drownings at sea
- In addressing this, unlike…
View original post 516 more words